teachAECMN

Hospital School Program Structure

• Thursday, July 27, 2017 11:49 AM
    Message # 4998132
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

• Friday, January 26, 2018 3:33 PM
    Reply # 5703832 on 4998132

How does everyone structure their school program? I teach at a smaller hospital in the Midwest which does not have room for a "classroom". I usually use the Playroom or the patient's room as a learning area, but I am just curious how everyone structures their lessons/program at their hospital. I am the only teacher at our hospital so I do not have anyone to bounce ideas off of here.

Thanks! 

• Monday, January 29, 2018 9:05 AM
    Reply # 5706956 on 4998132

Good morning!

I am a teacher at Batson Children's Hospital in Jackson, MS, and we have 9 teachers on our staff. 5 of our teachers are Special Education teachers, and 4 teachers teach our students with 504/regular education needs. We have a teacher for our Pediatric Psychiatric Unit, our Inpatient Rehab unit, Cancer Clinic (outpatient) and teachers on each of the inpatient floors. As of right now, we do not have a classroom either, but our goal is to have one soon! We communicate with the patients' local school districts in order to access each patients' school assignments and provide each patient (mostly one-on-one) with direct instruction in our office or at bedside. I am curious to hear how other programs around the nation are structured! And also, if most everyone has a classroom or classrooms in their hospital?

Last modified: Monday, January 29, 2018 9:09 AM | Anonymous member
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Hospital School Program Structure

Association for the Education of Children with Medical Needs © All Rights Reserved | aecmn@aecmn.org